Covering Drilling, Completions and Interventions, WITSML is the industry reference for the transmission of data from rig-site to the offices of oilfield service companies, integrators and operators. It is also used to share information among partners, vendors and government agencies.
The current inventory of WITSML standard capabilities includes: wellsite-to-office data transfers, completions (equipment, events and flows), wireline and LWD well logs, as well as calculated and planned well trajectories. Data Assurance Metadata is part of the standard. The Energistics Transfer Protocol (ETP) is the recommended method to ensure near-real-time continuous data transfers.
WITSML is under the management of a dedicated Special Interest Group (SIG), bringing together specialists from numerous member companies and organizations to chart the future of the standard.
The Problem that WITSML Solves
“Digital oilfield of the future”, “iFields”, “eFields”, “Smart fields”. These are all names for the industry efforts to use instrumentation and software to optimize operations in all domains for oil and gas exploration and production (E&P). To achieve this goal, all of these technologies must work together—but often don’t because of incompatible data structures and designs.
The standards make integration of these technologies possible, enabling near-real-time drilling optimization and moving closer to realizing the benefits of the digital oilfield. The standards are a low-cost, low-risk, and highly innovative environment for the configuration and running of advanced optimization processes. WITSML™ is an industry initiative to provide an open, non-proprietary, standard data interfaces for technology and software.
WITS ≠ WITSML
While the goal of each of these standards is essentially the same—the ability to easily transfer drilling data—the technology is not.
- Wellsite Information Transfer Specification (WITS) is an industry standard from the mid 1980s that uses a binary file format for transferring wellsite drilling data.
- WITSML is Web-based and built on XML technology, which is both platform- and language-independent.
Some implementations of WITS may still exist, but all new development should be done using WITSML.
Why Choose Us
- 110 members back our standards and ensure that they fit the industry’s needs.
- Data Transfer standards are critical to a successful Digital Transformation of the industry.
- Our use of XML allows us to leverage the schemas for self-validation, and the handling of attributes is supportive of metadata.
- Our Quality Assurance metadata ensures that users have a clear understanding of the trustworthiness of the data they access.
Energistics offers a certification process to allow developers to ensure that their software complies with the standard. [Read More]
Certification programs are available for the following versions of WITSML, click on them to access the list of certified software products: